- Used in the context of general equities. Customer or trader who is actively involved in a particular stock or the market in general. Bloomberg Financial Dictionary
* * *player play‧er [ˈpleɪə ǁ -ər] noun [countable] COMMERCEone of the important people, companies etc involved in a particular industry, market, situation etc:player in
• He is one of the major players in the multimedia industry.
• The company is a world player in telecommunications equipment.ˌgross ˈplayer COMMERCEin the film industry, a director, actor, writer etc who is paid a percentage of the receipt S (= money that people pay to see the film) before production, distribution, and other costs are taken awaya company or financial institution involved in a particular market:
• London market players pushed prices down early in the day.ˌnet ˈplayer COMMERCEin the film industry, a director, actor, writer etc who is paid a percentage of the profits of a film after all production, distribution, and other costs are taken away — see also team player
* * *player UK US /ˈpleɪər/ noun [C]► a company, organization, or person that has influence within a particular activity, industry, or type of work: a player in sth »
The organization used to be unique; today it is just another player in a cut-throat market.key/major/important player »
As chairman of the Finance Committee, she was a key player in the assembly's lengthy budget negotiations.global/industry player »
It may take another three to four years before the market stabilizes enough for global players to think about establishing new EU locations.
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Player — may refer to: * Player (dating), slang term for a (usually male, but also female) individual skilled at sexual seduction * Player (game), a participant in a game ** Player character ** Player coach ** Player manager ** Player (political)Theatre,… … Wikipedia
Player — (englisch) bezeichnet: in der deutschen Übersetzung einen (aktiven) Spieler, Mitspieler umgangssprachlich einen Marktteilnehmer in den Wirtschaftswissenschaften, siehe auch Global Player ein Gerät für die Wiedergabe von Mediendaten auf… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Player — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Player Álbum de M.Pokora Publicación 26 de enero, 2006 (FRA) Grabación 2005 … Wikipedia Español
player — [n1] person participating in sport amateur, athlete, champ, competitor, contestant, jock*, member, opponent, participant, pro, professional, rookie, sportsperson, superjock*, sweat*, team player; concept 366 Ant. fan, spectator player [n2] person … New thesaurus
PLAYER (G.) — PLAYER GARY (1935 ) Vainqueur de trois Masters (dont le dernier à quarante deux ans), deux British Open, deux U.S. Open et un U.S.P.G.A., le Sud Africain Gary Player est l’un des trois golfeurs – avec Ben Hogan et Jack Nicklaus – à s’être imposé… … Encyclopédie Universelle
player — [PLÉ IER] s. n. aparat pentru redarea înregistrărilor play back. (< engl. player) Trimis de raduborza, 21.05.2008. Sursa: MDN player (angl.) [pron. pléĭăr] (pla yer) s. n., pl. playere Trimis de gall, 21.05.2008. Sursa: DOOM 2 … Dicționar Român
Player — Play er, n. 1. One who plays, or amuses himself; one without serious aims; an idler; a trifler. Shak. [1913 Webster] 2. One who plays any game. [1913 Webster] 3. A dramatic actor. Shak. [1913 Webster] 4. One who plays on an instrument of music. A … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
player — [plā′ər] n. 1. a person who plays a game [a football player] 2. a performer in a drama; actor 3. a person who plays a musical instrument 4. a gambler 5. a person or group regarded as a chief or legitimate participant in some competitive activity … English World dictionary
player — index bettor Burton s Legal Thesaurus. William C. Burton. 2006 … Law dictionary
player — (n.) late 14c., agent noun from PLAY (Cf. play) (v.). As a pimp s word for himself (also playa), attested from 1974 … Etymology dictionary
player — *actor, performer, mummer, mime, mimic, thespian, impersonator, trouper … New Dictionary of Synonyms